Emerging Artist Award 2018
Friday 3 Aug - Sunday 26 Aug
Opening Night: Friday 3 August, 6pm to 7.30pm with refreshments and live entertainment.
Are you an emerging Auckland artist who would like to use creativity to showcase empathy and understanding?
Then the 10th EAA Exhibition is the perfect place to showcase your work.
Entries are now open to emerging NZ artists across all media types.
The work of 10 deserving finalists will be exhibited in The Upstairs Gallery, and 3 will be awarded with prizes worth over $5000.
In celebration of our 10th Anniversary, The Upstairs Gallery has chosen a theme we’re incredibly passionate about. Your art will engage our local community in support of mental health, with messaging that counters misunderstandings, fear and prejudice.
We believe that art is a tool for empathy
That it can help people understand mental illness in a way that is enlightening and therapeutic.
A recent study proves this to be true. It found that publicly displayed art is an effective way of increasing empathy and understanding towards mental illness. A work of art can evoke powerful emotions. The colour palate, the textures and the subject matter can all cause an immediate emotional response.
This intense trigger of emotion is why we have chosen empathy as the theme of this year’s exhibition.
Let your creativity run wild by submitting a work of art that cultivates empathy, helps people become more aware of their own emotions, and more receptive to the emotions of others.
Empathy is the ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes and to get a better understanding of what they are thinking or feeling.
Empathy is a key ingredient in creating successful relationships. Empathy reduces prejudice and racism, decreases bullying, encourages us to help others, and promotes mental well-being.
Your submission should include
- A photographic submission of your art piece
- An Artist’s Statement detailing how your work embodies the theme of empathy
- A completed Entry Form (attached with this document)
How to submit
Please ensure that your entry complies with the Conditions of Entry and submit either:
- online via email - email@example.com
- online via the form below
- via post or by hand to THE UPSTAIRS GALLERY, Level One, Lopdell House, 418 Titirangi Rd, Titirangi
Registrations close at 4pm on Monday 16 July
NO LATE ENTRIES will be accepted!
Conditions of Entry
- All work must fit within the theme of Empathy (an artist statement is required)
- Open to NZ residents only
- The artist must comply with the definition of The Upstairs Gallery Emerging Artist
- All media of contemporary visual art are accepted - we are open to new developments in art
- Size: Maximum dimension is 1m x 1m x 1m x 1m
- Up to 2 works per person may be submitted.
- IT IS IMPORTANT that the most current work of the artist is presented in the exhibition; therefore, the works should not be older than 1 year and not previously exhibited.
Conditions on Selection
- The Upstairs Gallery will not accept any artwork that is still wet.
- Work may be for sale, commission will be 25% plus GST on commission only.
- Work is insured by The Upstairs Gallery during the exhibition, but is the responsibility of the artist during transit.
- The exhibition and awards will be selected by an independent judging panel. The judge's decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into. All works selected during the final selection process will be hung; these works will remain on display for the duration of the exhibition.
- The Upstairs Gallery reserves the right to photograph and publish any selected work in publicity media.
- Works not collected three months after the close of the exhibition, will become the property of the The Upstairs Gallery
- All work must be suitably and professionally presented, ready for hanging
- Have no protruding hanging devices at back of frame
- String from D Ring device if possible.
- All work must be clearly labelled on the reverse side.
Details must include: the artist's name, address, telephone number, title, medium, retail price of the work.
EMAIL IMages of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attach the following to each photography of your work
- Details of Work (max 2 entries per artist)
- Artist statement attached as an addition to your entry form (please tell us how the work relates to the theme of Empathy)
- Year (must be no older than 12 months and not yet shown in public):
- Medium (all mediums accepted):
- Dimensions (max 1.0 x 1.0 x 1.0 x 1.0m):
- Price (RRP including Gallery commission of 25% + GST):
- Instructions for each image clearly indicating which way is upright, and any specific display instructions.
How to pay
Pay online here:
Pay by online banking:
Titirangi Community Arts Council
ASB 12 3100 0108063 00
Please use reference: YOUR SURNAME EAA
Cheques should be made payable to:
Titirangi Community Arts Council
If you pay by cheque, please consider adding an amount to cover cheque processing fee's that we are charged to deposit cheques
Note: Entry Fees are non-refundable
The Upstairs Gallery
Level 1 Lopdell House, 418 Titirangi Road, Titirangi, Auckland 0604
Friday 16 Feb - Sunday 11 Mar
Monday to Sunday
10am to 4pm
Support an emerging artist
The Upstairs Gallery is a community space supporting and promoting emerging artists and the arts. Your donations help us to continue doing this work